We all know how messy arts and crafts can get, but children of all ages love them and it’s actually extremely beneficial for them and their development.
The different types of arts and crafts you can add to your child’s life vary and are based on several things:
- Their interests
- Their attention span
- Their learning needs
And always keep in mind that it’s ideal to incorporate several arts and crafts projects that touch on a variety of skills to ensure your child’s development is well-rounded.
Some Arts And Craft Projects To Try With Your Child Can Include:
- Baking - Baking can give your child many opportunities to develop and use both hands together in a coordinated way. Developing good bilateral coordination skills can help children master the skills of tying shoelaces and cutting with scissors, among other skills.
- Photography - Photography for children offers a range of exciting and valuable learning experiences, not to mention some great experiences and opportunities to communicate their feelings creatively.
- Painting - Painting can help your children communicate their emotions or feelings. Through the use of different colors, they can express themselves without the use of words. Painting also aids your child develop mobility skills. Their hand muscles are being used, which allows them a scope to develop both mentally and physically.
- Drawing - Drawing enables your child's imagination to become more active. Each time they draw they access their imagination and make physical representations of what's in their mind. People's imaginations have allowed them to create all of the things that we use and are surrounded by everyday.
- Sewing - To sew requires concentration and focus, problem solving skills, hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills. It challenges left brain thinking and is a great way to express ones creativity and individuality. And, the tactile nature of sewing helps strength a child's hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills.
- Scrapbooking - Scrapbooking is one of the most sedate and serene of physical craft activities that a child could take part in; perhaps only on a par with painting. It encourages them to stop thinking about what is going on in the outside world, and forces them to work on what is in front of them.
So what are you waiting for? Go grab some art and craft supplies and give some of these a try!
Each of these activities requires the utilisation of several motor skills and provides your child with more independence as they learn to do these things on their own.
The general and overarching idea behind each craft activity is to develop their feelings, thinking, and coordination skills. At first, try helping them out and leading by example, but after a while, let them take the reigns with some of the above activities and watch them blossom into the creative little beings they’re destined to be!
Craft Nation is a kids craft store dedicated to providing your child with exciting hands on craft. Our kids craft activity sets are not only fun and full of environmentally sustainable and safe products, but come with educational booklets to teach kids about different countries of the world. At Craft Nation, we believe that craft is an essential part of a child's development and also offer a range of craft events for kids in different locations around Sydney, Australia. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us via our contact page.